Zesty Sorghum and Black Bean Salad
This salad is very healthy, and nutritious, and it is a delicious way to prepare sorghum. Sorghum and beans provide protein, there is a healthy amount of starch from the beans and the sorghum, and you also have some fruit in there. This salad is also a great source of prebiotic fibre. This is a salad that can be prepared anytime, the only seasonal food are the tomatoes, but you can find decent imported tomatoes even during the winter.
- 1 cup sorghum grain
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 -1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed well (my friend cooks her beans every time she makes this, but I like the convenience of canned beans)
- 1 medium purple onion diced
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced, (you can also use lemon, or both lemon and lime)
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Bring sorghum and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk olive oil, lime juice, cumin, 1 teaspoon of salt and red pepper flakes together in a bowl.
- Combine 1 cup of cooked sorghum, tomatoes, black beans, purple onions and cilantro together in a bowl Pour olive oil mixture over sorghum and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt & pepper. You may serve immediately or refrigerate,
The recipe presented serves 6-8, but if you want to prepare for a few days, just double the quantities. Because this salad can be stored in the fridge, you can make more and refrigerate the extra.
While the salad is very good as soon as it is made it does get even better after the flavors marry.
This salad provides a decent amount of protein by itself, but I love meat, so I have added chicken to the salad for a very satisfying meal. Hum!